This post contains affiliate links. If you buy through these links, I may earn a small commission.
After the Christmas holidays (and the money that is spent!) we like to try to live “low to the ground” during January. And that includes our grocery bill. Here’s our recipe for Lentil soup with Ham. It’s a favourite for a cold winter day!
Although we don’t spend a huge amount at Christmas, we like to cut the spending for the next month or two, if we can.
So we eat out of our pantry, cold room & freezers and just hunker down. We make soups, stews and other delicious homemade meals.
If we start early enough in the morning, we can cook the soup on top of our woodstove.
Great because it’s easy, it makes the house smell awesome for hours and we don’t even need to turn on the electric stove to get it made.
If you make it on your electric stove, plan for it to take about 3 hours.
This soup can feed a family of 6 for about $10 and that’s a great price for dinner! Add a loaf of fresh homemade bread to serve along with it.
If you don’t already have a breadmaker, consider getting one this year. Find one at the thrift store if you can’t afford a new one, but get one.
You will save so much money on bread – right now, we pay almost $4 a loaf for multigrain bread.
So we make our own. The breadmaker is so convenient.
Hearty Lentil Soup with Ham
- 3/4 pound ham
- 2 cans tomato soup
- 1/2 bag dried soup mix or lentils, or both
- Herbs: parsley, lovage whatever you like
- salt and pepper
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. Dice the ham and add to the water. Let it come to a boil, then turn down and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the tomato soup and the soup mix. Be sure to stir it frequently as the lentils tend to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a few of the herbs. Let simmer for at least two hours, the longer the better.
- About 15 minutes prior to serving add some more herbs. Serve with hot biscuits.
So darn good, so deliciously healthy (especially if you use homemade tomatoes) and so very filling. Along with the bread, even teenagers will be full after a nice big bowl of this soup! Enjoy!
Take a look at the other delicious recipes we have here on our site!
Our entire Country Living in a Cariboo Valley Recipe Collection can be found here