This post contains affiliate links. If you buy through these links, I may earn a small commission.
Looking for a quick and easy dinner idea? Try this Garlic Scape Pesto Pasta recipe – make it with any kind of Pesto! A simple but delicious dish that’s perfect for any night of the week!
Why You’ll Love this Pasta Recipe
Pesto pasta is a versatile and flavorful dish that is so easy to make! Even if you don’t have garlic scape pesto, you can make this pasta with the pesto of your choice and it will still turn out delicious. You can add hot Italian sausages or chicken for a meal with more protein, then serve with a side salad and enjoy!
- butter – makes the sauce flavorful and gives it a buttery consistency.
- flour – help thicken the sauce.
- salt and pepper – can be adjusted to taste.
- milk – ensures that the sauce maintains its creamy texture.
- cheddar cheese – makes your pesto pasta creamy and cheesy.
- pesto – you can use whatever kind of pesto you have on hand; this recipe will turn out great every time!
- pasta – almost any kind of pasta can be used for this recipe, but I went with farfalle (or bowties!)
How to Make Pesto Pasta
- Melt butter in saucepan, then whisk in the flour. I like to keep it on the heat so the sauce starts to thicken right away.
- Add salt and pepper, whisking constantly.
- Let it thicken a bit (keep stirring!) then slowly add the milk. Stir it constantly and once it is as thick as you like, turn down the heat.
- Add the cheese and then the pesto and stir that in. Keep warm and stir every once in a while.
- Meanwhile, boil water for the pasta. We like using colourful pasta but any good quality pasta will work. One day I will finally try making my own fresh pasta.
- Start adding the pesto cheese sauce to the cooked pasta. You might not use all of the sauce, it depends on how much pasta you have cooked. Leftover sauce can be used over meat in another meal. Or try it on homemade Eggs Benedict – delicious.
And…there’s dinner! It was delicious and didn’t take long to prepare. A great meal after a hard day of work.
Variations and Serving Suggestions
- Adding something like chicken or turkey is a great way to make this pasta an even heartier and more well-rounded meal.
- Serving a salad on the side also provides even more nutrients and is the perfect pairing with this delicious garlic scape pesto pasta!
- I used farfalle for this recipe, but you could do penne, rigatoni, rotini, or even a longer noodle like spaghetti. This pesto cheese sauce tastes good on everything!
Our entire Country Living in a Cariboo Valley Recipe Collection can be found here, and here are some more recipes hand-picked for you!
- Special occasion coming up? Why not make this awesome Almond Butter Cake?
- If you love chicken, you will love this Mediterranean Lemon Chicken dinner recipe!
- This easy Apple Crisp recipe is a delicious treat!
- Have you ever made your own Salsa? Here’s how we make (and preserve!) our own fresh Salsa.
- Want to learn how to get started on the path to providing more of your own healthy food for your family?
Garlic Scape Pesto Pasta Recipe
If you enjoy this recipe for easy pesto pasta, please be sure to rate it 5 stars below! And print this off or save it to your recipes folder!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- dash pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp pesto
- Melt butter in saucepan, then whisk in the flour.
- Keep on the heat so the sauce starts to thicken right away. Add salt and pepper, whisking constantly.
- When mixture thickens, slowly add the milk while stirring.
- Keep heating and once thickened, add the cheese.
- Add the pesto.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles then strain well.
- Stir the pesto sauce into the cooked noodles.