This post contains affiliate links. If you buy through these links, I may earn a small commission.
This Lemon Loaf Cake with Rosemary Glaze is quick to make and sure to please guests! You’ll make this loaf cake recipe again and again!
Lemon Loaf Cake with Rosemary Glaze Recipe
If you like lemons, you will enjoy this special treat. This Lemon Loaf Cake with Rosemary Glaze drizzled over top will be a true hit.
A lemon cake is easy to make when you are expecting guests. Everyone will love this lemon loaf recipe.
Serve it alongside a hot cup of tea for a special afternoon goodie. A spoonful of blueberries or a few strawberries compliment a slice of lemon loaf and look so pretty on the plate.
I’ve got all the ingredients ready to go, so let’s get started.
How to Make Lemon Loaf Cake
- Soften the butter and add the sugar. Stir well until mixed.
- Add 2 eggs and mix well.
- Now add in the sour cream, vanilla and the zested peel from one lemon. Beat this mixture well for two minutes.
- The batter may look curdled, but that’s ok!
- Now add the flour, cornstarch, salt and baking soda. Mix it together only until incorporated – try to not over mix at this point.
- Pour batter into two greased and floured loaf pans. Bake in a preheated 325 F degree oven for 25 – 30 minutes.
- You can test if the loaf is done using a toothpick. Push it in and remove it; if the toothpick is clean, the Lemon Loaf is done. If not, give it a few more minutes in the oven.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and now poke holes along the top, using the toothpick.
- Once cool, turn the loaf out onto a plate and get ready for glazing.
How to Make Rosemary Infused Glaze
- Heat the sugar and lemon juice on the stove, bringing the mixture to a boil. Stir it once in a while while it is heating.
- Add the Rosemary sprig and turn the stove down to low. Let it thicken for 2 -3 minutes.
- Want a clear glaze for the Lemon Cake? Just remove the Rosemary and drizzle the glaze all over the loaf. The glaze will drip down into the holes you made with the toothpick.
- Want a white glaze for the Loaf instead? Remove the mixture from the stove and take out the Rosemary sprig. Add 2 cups of sifted icing sugar and beat well.
- Drizzle the Rosemary infused glaze over the top of the loaf.
This Lemon Loaf recipe is easy to make. The Loaf has a true lemony zingy flavor. And, it’s moist and delicious.
Your guests and family will love it and you will likely make it again. Enjoy!
Do I have to add the glaze?
- No, this cake will be light and refreshing even on its own! However, the glaze is simple to make and adds a lot of flavor, so try it both ways!
How long does loaf cake last?
- Once cooled, wrap your loaf cake in aluminum foil or plastic wrap, then store in the fridge for up to a week.
- In the freezer, the cake should last around 6 months or so.
How can I avoid drying out loaf cake while baking?
- The sour cream in the batter will help fight against drying out.
- Allow your butter to come up to room temperature before you beat it with the sugar.
- Ensure that you don’t over mix the batter, and don’t bake it for longer than you need to!
Variations and Serving Suggestions
- If you don’t have Rosemary, you could just whisk together the lemon juice and sifted icing sugar. Then drizzle over the Lemon Loaf.
- Serve with strawberries, blueberries, or any assortment of berries or fruit for an extra burst of flavor and freshness.
- If you’re not a fan of glazes, you could also dust the top of this cake with some powdered sugar for that dash of sweetness.
- Another way to boost the citrus flavor would be to incorporate a tablespoon or 2 of lemon extract; the flavor won’t be quite as natural, but if you really want the lemon to come through this is a viable option! (Just be aware that lemon extract is not the same thing as lemon oil, which is more potent and can be too intense. Also, lemon juice and lemon extract are not interchangeable either!)
Want to read more of Country Living in a Cariboo Valley’s Recipes? You can find them all right here, including:
- This Almond Butter Cake is a Dutch treat and we’ve been making it for years.
- If you love Feta cheese and you love Garlic, here’s an appetizer recipe for you to try: Feta Cheese and Garlic Dip.
- This Ham and Bean Slow Cooker Soup will be sure to be a hit on cold days.
Lemon Loaf Cake with Rosemary Glaze
If you like this Lemon Loaf Cake recipe, be sure to rate it 5 stars below!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 peel of 1 lemon, zested, using grater
- 1 1/2 cup flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Rosemary Infused Lemon Glaze
- 1 lemon, squeezed for juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 sprig Rosemary, fresh
- Beat softened butter with sugar.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Blend in sour cream, vanilla and zested lemon peel.
- Beat for 2 minutes. Batter may appear curdled.
- Sift and combine the flour, cornstarch, salt and baking soda.
- Pour into egg mixture. Mix just until incorporated.
- Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans.
- Bake at 350F for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Poke holes in top using a toothpick. Let cool.
- Mix sugar and lemon juice in saucepan.
- Heat until boiling. Stir occasionally.
- Turn heat to low, add Rosemary and let thicken about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add icing sugar and whisk well. Pour over top of loaf, letting the glaze settle in holes in loaf top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 500
First Published May 2019; Updated December 2020