This post contains affiliate links. If you buy through these links, I may earn a small commission.
These paprika kale chips are crispy, flavorful, and best of all, they’re a filling snack that’s nutritious and satisfying!
Why You’ll Love These Paprika Kale Chips
We decided to invest in a good dehydrator a few years ago and did a lot of research into the different brands. After reading reviews I bought an Excalibur dehydrator and love it.
We’ve made apple chips (delicious!), garlic salt and different kinds of dehydrated vegetables. We have dried kale to toss into winter soups and stews.
And we made chips…homemade kale chips…Paprika Kale Chips!
There are so many health benefits to kale – and so worth it for us to be eating. Kale can help to manage your blood pressure, protect against getting diabetes and may even help with reducing cancer.
How to Make Paprika Kale Chips
This is my 9 tray Excalibur with timer (automatic shutoff). It gets used a lot here and I am very happy with the quality. I store it away over Winter in the basement. Usually though it is upstairs through the entire garden harvest season.
I compared the different types of dehydrators and thought the Excalibur with the automatic timer was the best one to get. I am so glad I did. It does cost more, but the convenience (and not having to wait up at night until the batch was finished) was well worth it.
One of my friends made homemade kale chips and they were pretty good, so of course I wanted to try making them myself. Since the garden isn’t in season, I had to buy some kale at the grocery store.
They were $2.99 and there were 11 stems of Kale. That’s pretty expensive and reinforces the idea of growing our own food and eating seasonally.
I am loving having the dehydrator, Excalibur’s are expensive but from every review I have read, they are the very best. Mine came with a 10 year warranty and free shipping and I intend to use it a lot. If you want to research them, click on the links above.
I also have a Salton dehydrator. It is much smaller so cannot hold anywhere near the quantity of the Excalibur.
- kale leaves – kale is a fantastic leafy green that can help boost your immune system, lower your cholesterol, improve your heart health, and even prevent against certain kinds of cancer! It’s full of antioxidants and fiber and low in calories, fat, and carbs, which makes kale the perfect ingredient for a healthy snack.
- extra virgin olive oil – helps your kale leaves get nice and crispy.
- paprika – adds a hint of sweetness and spiciness which pairs well with the hearty, green taste of the kale.
- salt – just because they’re kale chips doesn’t mean you shouldn’t add a little bit of salt for flavor!
Instructions for Homemade Kale Chips
- I separated the kale leaves and gave them a good washing. After cutting out the stems and cutting the kale into smaller pieces, I tossed them in a bowl.
- Combine the coating mix and add it to the kale. You have to get in there with your hands to toss the kale around and make sure it is covered with the coating mixture.
- Put the kale leaves in the dehydrator for 5 hours. Let them cool down a bit, then enjoy!
- If you don’t have a dehydrator, you can also bake these kale chips for about 10 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Play around with the spices and seasonings you use to switch up the flavor of these chips and give yourself some variety. Chili powder or flakes, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper or black pepper, or whatever your favorite flavors are would all take these homemade kale chips to the next level!
- These paprika kale chips can be made with a number of other greens like chard, collard greens, bok choy, and even brussels sprouts!
More Snack Recipes
Our entire Country Living in a Cariboo Valley Recipe Collection can be found here, but here are some other great snacks for you to try!
- These Bacon Wrapped Garlic Bites are a delicious and savory appetizer.
- For a snack on the sweeter side, try these Chewy Coconut Cookies.
- Homemade Refrigerator Pickles from A Spicy Perspective are another healthy and filling snack!
Thumbs up – we really liked the flavour of the paprika kale chips. I am going to experiment with a few different recipes. If you have tried drying Kale chips, let me know what recipe you use. I’d love to give it a try.
Paprika Kale Chips
If you enjoy this recipe for homemade kale chips, please be sure to rate it 5 stars below!
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon of salt
- Mix together the olive oil, paprika and salt.
- Separate and wash the kale leaves . Cut out the stems and then cut the kale into small bite sized pieces.
- Put the leaves in a large bowl. Drizzle the oil mixture on the leaves.
- Toss the kale around and make sure it all gets covered with the coating mixture. Using your hands works great.
- Spread the leaves on the tray in the dehydrator. Be sure the leaves do not touch each other.
- Dry for 5 hours at about 145 degrees.. Let them cool down and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 5 chips
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 529mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
First Published May 2016; Updated February 2021