This post contains affiliate links. If you buy through these links, I may earn a small commission.
I’ve always been more of a chicken fan, and haven’t tried raising geese. We find it easy to keep a bunch of hens here – they give us eggs and help keep the place more bug free. Plus, they like to work! Read here about how we put chickens to work so they earn their keep.
But friends do keep quite a few geese on their property and they love them. They think geese are better bug eaters than chickens, but I’m not sure about that.
They like to use goose eggs for baking rather than chicken eggs. I don’t know about that either, but her cookies and cakes are delicious. Maybe there is some truth to goose eggs being better?
Have you ever thought about getting some geese? Here’s something you will want to read – there is a giveaway going on right now! And, you can win some geese! And a just released book – The Modern Homesteader’s Guide to Keeping Geese – stuffed full of information about geese! Plus, a coop heater! Also a gift card! Take a look…
Note: This giveaway is over, BUT you can still get a copy of this book!
The Modern Homesteader’s Guide to Keeping Geese
While chickens preen in the spotlight, geese are the historic unsung heroes of small farms and homesteads. They provide weed control, large eggs, and entertainment, and act as “security” over other animals. Geese are actually the ultimate modern homesteading companion.
The Modern Homesteader’s Guide to Keeping Geese covers everything you need to know to raise geese, including:
- Profiles of breeds and how to select the best one for your needs
- How to “imprint” goslings on a person
- Feeding, housing, animal health, and cold weather care
- Using geese for weed control, soil improvement, and as “watch-geese”
- Cooking with goose eggs and meat
Additional coverage includes a look at the rich history of geese on farms in North America and Europe that will interest any goose keeper’s enjoyment of these intelligent and unique birds.
This practical guide is a must-have essential for the kitchen table of homesteaders, small farmers, permaculturists, and professional farmers looking to add the power of geese to their land.
The Keeping Geese Prize Package: Valued at Over $200!
- Your own copy of The Modern Homesteader’s Guide to Keeping Geese by Kirsten Lie-Nielsen ($19.99 value)
- 8 White Chinese Geese from Hoover’s Hatchery ($91.20 value) Chinese geese are a more talkative breed of geese. They make very good watchdogs. They will alert you of any intruders or strangers on your property. Because of their smaller size they are good “weeders”, they love to eat grass
- 1 Cozy Coop Heating Tile from Cozy Products – Flat-panel poultry coop heater keeps birds warm and prevents frostbite during cold months using both radiant & convection heat (value $69.99)
- One $20 Gift Card to Tractor Supply or Atwoods for Starter Feed – Winner’s Choice
Want to get in on the giveaway? Sure you do!
The giveaway will run November 25, 2017 starting at midnight, to December 9, 2017 ending at 11:59pm. (PT)
Content open to US residents only, 18 years of age and older. Winners will have 3 business days to respond before a back up winner is selected
Brought to you through Homestead Bloggers